Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Excerpt from the movie Waking life

Hey man, what are you doing here?
I fancy myself a social lubricator of the dream world. Helping people become lucid a little easier. You know, cut all that fear and anxiety stuff and just rock and roll.
By becoming lucid you mean just knowing that you`re dreaming, right?
Yeah. And then you can control it. They are more realistic and less bizarre than non-lucid dreams.
You know, I just woke from a dream. It wasn`t a typical dream, it seemed more like I`d walked into an alternate universe or something.
Yes, that`s real. I mean, technically it`s a phenomenon of sleep, but you can have so much damn fun in your dreams. And of course everyone knows fun rules. What was going on in your dream? Uh, a lot of people, a lot of talking. You know, some of it was kind of absurdist, like from a strange movie or something, mostly just people going off about whatever really intensely. I woke up wondering where did all this stuff come from?
You can control that you know.
Do you have these dreams all the time?
Hell, yeah. I`m always going to make the best of it. But the trick is, you got to realize that you`re dreaming in the first place. You got to be able to recognize it. You got to be able to ask yourself, hey man, is this a dream? See, most people never ask themselves that when they`re awake, or especially when they`re asleep . Seems like everyone`s sleep-walking through their waking state, or wake-walking through their dreams. Either way, they`re not going to get much out of it. The thing that snapped me into realizing I was dreaming was my digital clock, I couldn`t really read it. It`s like the circuitry was all screwed up or something.
Yeah, that`s real common. And small printed material is pretty tough too. Very unstable. Another good tip-off is try and adjust the light levels. You can`t really do that. If you see a light switch nearby, turn it on and off and see if it works. That`s one of the few things you can`t do in a lucid dream. But what the hell. I can fly around, have an interesting conversation with Albert Schweitzer, and explore all these new dimensions of reality, not to mention I can have any kind of sex I want which is way cool. So I can`t adjust light levels. So what?
That`s like one of the things that you do to test if you`re dreaming or not, right?
Yeah, like I said, you can totally train yourself to recognize it. I mean just hit a light switch every now and then. If the lights are on, and you can`t turn them off, then most likely you`re dreaming. And then you can get down to business. And believe me, it`s unlimited. Hey, you know what I`ve been working on lately?
What`s that?
Oh man, it`s way ambitious, but I`m getting better at it. You`re going to dig this. 360 vision man. I can see in all directions. Pretty cool, huh?
Yeah. Well, I got to go man.
Okay, later man. Super profundo on the early eve of your day.
See you later dude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home